Here’s a pea shoots recipe for when you find them at the farmer’s market! This fancy toast features a chickpea mash, cream cheese, and pea shoots.
There’s nothing more delightful than bright and happy pea shoots after a long, gray winter. We found these at the winter farmer’s market a few weeks ago, where the farmer happily cut off a bunch of the shoots growing out of a small flat. But how to make a pea shoots recipe? We went home, Googled a bit, and came up with this one. Keep reading for our pea shoots recipe!
What we decided on for our pea shoots was…fancy toast! Here we’ve made fancy toast or a tartine – French for “open faced sandwich”. This pea shoots recipe combines the tender green shoots with a delicious Greek yogurt cheese from our farmer’s market (from Trader’s Point Creamery here in Indianapolis). We also added a chickpea mash for some extra protein — which was actually quite good itself! If you can’t find yogurt cheese, you can use any type of cream cheese, or even make homemade yogurt cheese (it’s actually quite easy – here’s our recipe for labneh / yogurt cheese).
This fancy toast with pea shoots recipe was so tasty: it was the perfect simple lunch! You could also use it as an appetizer before a dinner party, or a filling snack. Have you made a pea shoots we should know about? Let us know if you’re inspired to try them out.
- 15-ounce can chickpeas (or 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- 6 slices peasant bread
- 6 ounces cream cheese or yogurt cheese / labneh (we used local Honey Lemon Greek Yogurt Cheese from Trader’s Point Creamery)
- 1 bunch pea shoots
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, if using canned. In a small bowl, mash together chickpeas, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper using a fork.
- Cut the slices of bread and toast them if desired. Place each bread slice open-face on a plate, spread with cream cheese and chickpea mash, and top with pea shoots.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/pea-shoot-tartine/