Kale and chickpeas make for a hearty sweet potato stew, while the coconut milk adds just the right amount of smoothness to this cozy and delicious recipe.
When buying the ingredients for this hearty sweet potato stew, make sure you’re getting unsweetened, full-fat coconut milk. The coconut flavor won’t dominate this stew, and is the key to making it super rich and creamy. I’d also recommend purchasing salt-free vegetable broth so you can control the amount of salt you use. Just remember to season every layer of this sweet potato stew to balance out all the flavors! Finally, you can use any type of kale you find at the store; the tough leaves hold up well in this stew and add a delightfully earthy flavor to the final product.
If you have leftover sweet potato stew, make sure to store the rice and the stew separately. This will prevent the rice from soaking up all the yummy broth and going mushy. If you’re not a fan of rice, this stew would also be great plain or with a thick slice of bread.
- 2 cups dry brown rice, for serving
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, minced
- 3/4 pound kale
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
- 6 cups (1 1/2 quarts) vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions (or use our Instant Pot rice method).
- Prepare the vegetables: Dice the onion. Mince the garlic. Mince the ginger. Wash and roughly chop the kale. Dice the sweet potato into bite-sized cubes.
- Prepare the soup: In a large pot, heat at about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Cook the onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic, ginger, turmeric and red pepper flakes, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes. Then add the vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Once the stew is simmering, add the kale and chickpeas. Simmer for about 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve over brown rice.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/vegan-kale-chickpea-sweet-potato-stew/