A quick weeknight meal, this healthy pita pizza with goat cheese and tomato is as simple as it is tasty, with creamy cheese and juicy heirloom tomatoes.
Life sometimes seems like little bits of crazy, strung together with brief moments of solitude or exhilaration. And while “just make time for margin” might be the default answer to the problem, Alex and I realize not all of us are afforded this luxury. Especially those of you out there who are parents (bless you, seriously). And even without little ones, the daily grind can be a challenge. Over the years, a few tips have emerged to help us survive the crazy of life and continue to make nourishing meals. Here are some of our tips on easy dinner ideas, and this healthy pita pizza recipe.
This healthy pita pizza recipe is one of our favorites yet; it’s incredibly simple and easily customizable to the ingredients you have on hand. A pita pizza can be prepared in the time it takes to preheat your oven, and baked in a little over 10 minutes. Our key is to prebake the pita a few minutes per side in order to achieve a crispy crust.
This healthy pita pizza recipe uses heirloom tomatoes left over from our farmer’s market run and fresh thyme from our garden, along with pitas, mozzarella and goat cheese from the grocery. The tangy, creamy goat cheese is a perfect combination for the sweet tomatoes. It tastes like it’s taken hours to prepare, even though it’s the definition of simple. Feel free to use any produce you like for your healthy pita pizzas — but the goat cheese and fresh thyme are essential for the fresh flavor.
- 4 whole wheat pitas
- 1 small red onion
- Handful thyme sprigs
- 1 pound tomatoes (heirloom or multi-colored, if desired)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- Olive oil (optional)
- Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Place pita directly on the oven grate and pre-bake 3 minutes per side, then flip and bake another 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the red onion. Roughly chop the thyme. Using a serrated knife, thinly slice the tomatoes.
- When the pitas are crisp, remove them from the oven. The top each with 1/2 cup mozzarella, then tomatoes, onions, and thyme leaves. Add dollops of goat cheese. Sprinkle liberally with kosher salt, especially the tomatoes. If desired, drizzle with olive oil. Bake until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven, cut into wedges, and serve.
You can read full article and recipes here : https://www.acouplecooks.com/goat-cheese-and-tomato-pita-pizzas/